National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2468] Re: from Janet, Re: How You Benefit

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Thu Aug 28 11:19:55 EDT 2008

Hello Marva, Gina, Ginnie, Janet, Jane, Erika, Pedro and all,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful feedback; this is helpful to me
in understanding how those of us benefit from this (and perhaps other)
NIFL lists. Some have written me off list and are very interested in
hearing more; looking for one page to access these posts. I'll compile a
thread on communities of practice and share it back on the list.

As Gina noted, I'm also seeking perspectives on whether and to what
extent we might consider ourselves a community (or communities) of
practice (CoPs). So far I'm hearing that yes, we are a "CoP". I haven't
heard any concerns here with using that language to articulate what we
already do.

Marva (and others), in your research, are there particular
considerations we should keep in mind -- or red flags we should be aware
of -- when calling the Adult Literacy Professional Development List a
community of practice?

Thanks, Jackie