National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2368] Re: Critical Thinking-Student Involvement

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 17:34:59 EDT 2008

Hi Steve--

Much of the curricula that teachers / administrators have talked
about on these lists for a long time (years) revolve around VOICE,
that is, learning how to speak up to further your own goals. When
adults enter a public education system, they need voice, often, to
get the accommodations they are guaranteed by law. So that is one
thread.

Another thread goes back to progressive education and John Dewey and
the testing of assumptions by asking questions then going out into
the community to get information, empirically.

Andrea