National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2270] Re: Critical Thinking in Professional Development

Alpha Computer Training and COnsulting alphact at eastlink.ca
Fri Jul 11 15:41:22 EDT 2008

Hi Jackie,

Very interesting discussion. As trainers, or even mentors, I wonder how
much we really influence others in the process of critical thinking. I
suspect that we can greatly influence how people think, and not just at the
emotional side. I think of the farmer who sends his son out to do a task,
knowing that it is not the task that he is interested in seeing done, but
seeing how the son will use problem solving and critical thinking to get the
job done. As instructors, we can not control how a person will think, but
can we influence their thinking for the better? What about multiple input
to insure that a bias is not imposed? Maybe professional development should
focus on the influence we can have in the process of critical thinking?
What do you think?

Jeff Brown

Alpha Computer Training and Consulting

(902)956-2600