National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2225] Re: What do we mean bystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Andy Nash andy_nash at worlded.org
Wed Jul 9 10:45:31 EDT 2008

Hi,
I think I’m agreeing with Steve when I say that critical thinking and
language ability are really quite separate things and that there’s no
reason to think that ESL beginners (or any students) don’t already
think critically – or, in fact, that we (the teachers) do. So rather
than talking about “teaching” critical thinking, I’d be more
comfortable talking about “practicing” critical thinking along with
our students. And this, I think, means questioning assumptions and
asking why things are as they are. As Winston noted in his description
of health projects, it’s about considering who benefits and who loses
from presenting information/ideas in a particular way, whose
perspectives are represented or omitted, etc.

Where I differ with Steve is that I think that Cynthia’s and
Heide’s lesson examples show us ways for students and teachers to
hear alternative experiences and perspectives and to remind ourselves
that things can be different (and they ARE different for different
groups of people). And this is what Cynthia was talking about when she
supported the idea of students recognizing their agency – that we
don’t have to just accept things as they are.

Andy Nash

>>> "Steve Kaufmann" <steve at thelinguist.com> 7/9/2008 12:15 AM >>>

I no longer sure what the subject of discussion is.. So here are my
views on
critical thinking, beginner ESL, social activism and the role of
modern
technology.

1) Critical thinking.
If learners have limited English skills and a limited vocabulary, we
have no
idea of their critical thinking skills. They simply cannot express
themselves in English. How do we know if someone can do the following
if
they do not have the words?

- Observe
- Question
- Analyze
- Compare
- Evaluate
- Judge
- Synthesize

And do we judge them based on our cultural standards?

In my experience, ESL learners who seem to have trouble arguing their
points
logically, generally have not enough words in English. I wonder how
many of
the people on this discussion Forum can sound intelligent in another
language. First let the learners acquire words. The more they have the
more
they can learn.

2) Beginner ESL
I think there is enough evidence out there that beginner ESL students
should
not be trying to say anything. Just google "the silent period
hypothesis"
and you will find lots of articles like
this<http://homepage3.nifty.com/park/silent.htm>.

Let the beginner learners listen to and read simple stories, divided
into
30-60 second episodes, where the translation is available in their
language.
Let them listen at first while reading in their own language, if they
can
read.Let their brains get used to the language.

Let them listen 20-30 times, for a period of 2-3 months Do not put
pressure
on them to speak.

3) Social activism
If the goal is not English language instruction, but "educating" the
students in some activist agenda, find a person who speaks their
language to
do it. Do not confuse it with English teaching.

4) Modern technology
The best place for modern technology is outside the classroom. This
empowers
the learner and the teacher. It extends the influence of the teacher
and
makes sure that learning is not perceived as something artificial that
only
happens in the classroom.

The exception to this would be if the learners do not have access to
computers, MP3 players etc, on their own.

Steve

--
Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com