National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2146] Re: Program-based PD your thoughts

Katrina Hinson khinson at almanid.com
Sun May 25 13:08:34 EDT 2008

I happen to agree with Robin's comments. Program -PD is only as effective as policy and personnel (administrators) require it to be. When it is not supported it tends to be wasted effort - especially when the PD does not have an impact on classroom teaching practices or student performance goals. I think Robin hit the nail on the head when she said it evaporates when teachers know they don't "HAVE" to continue doing what they were trained to do. I think one obstacle that leads to this isn't so much teacher turnover ( though that is a big one) but also, administrative apathy. Training is done because they feel they have to not because they want to and then they don't have time to truly dedicate to find out if the training was effective or being utilized and then teachers feel like they wasted their time or that the training was pointless. My favorite comment from teachers is that "I've always done it this way" as if that is the only way something can be done - or when someone looks at me and tells me they thought it was 'interesting and cute' but you can tell from their comments that he/she has no intention of ever truly implementing what they have just been trained on. For PD to be effective, everyone has to support it and understand the need and essentialness or inter-relatedness of all the pieces - from the training to the classroom to the assessment to student performance.

Regards,
Katrina Hinson

>>> <robinschwarz1 at aim.com> 5/15/2008 4:06:47 pm >>>

Mariann and list-- I find that the most important element of all is policy change at the program level. Without that, all the effort soon evaporates either as teachers know they don''t HAVE to continue doing what they were trained to do, or because there is staff turnover and the effort is lost.?? Robin Lovrien Schwarz