National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1960] Re: Volunteer tutorshttp://webmail.aol.com/34032/aol/en-us/Mail/DisplayMessage.aspx#

JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall crandall at umbc.edu
Wed Feb 13 08:38:42 EST 2008

Joanne,

This sounds like a great model for an internship experience for adult ESL,
combined with theory and training in basic techniques.
Your way of accommodating different schedules is also very interesting.
I wonder how many others have tried this approach -- combining working in
an ESL class with training new volunteers or future instructors? In some
ways, it is the model used in preK-12 teacher education, but I'm not
familiar with any programs in which the mentor teacher is also the person
who teaches theory and methodology. I sounds like a lot of work on your
part.
By the way, how do you fund this extra work?

Jodi

--
JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall
Professor, Education Department