National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1939] Re: better training for volunteer tutors

Barbara Sabaj bjteach at ameritech.net
Sun Feb 10 20:44:50 EST 2008

I have worked in a program for over 18 years that uses tutors. We have
tutors who tutor at a site with other tutors and students, and there is a
professional educator at the site who writes the lesson plans based on the
needs of the student. All new tutors and any returning tutor who want to
attend are given a ½ of training prior to each 2.5 hour tutoring session.
This training is above and beyond the tutors initial training and
conferences. The site supervisor, the professional educator, creates the
lessons and helps the tutor implement the lesson. If the site supervisor
sees that the lesson is not working or the student needs additional work,
he/she provides the necessary materials. We have wonderful tutors who have
brought our language learners from a 2+ level to be ready to get a job or
move to a GED program, etc. Without our tutors, we would not be able to
help the 700 students a year we have. While there may be some tutors who
are not as effective, the site supervisor can you usually help mitigate the
situation and everyone is learning and happy.

I love our tutors and feel that they all help in some way or another, even
if it is to just give the student someone to talk to about their problems
and goals.

Barbara Sabaj

bjteach at ameritech.net