National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2706] Re: What additional models already exist that we can learn from?

JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall crandall at umbc.edu
Mon Dec 29 09:18:32 EST 2008

I agree with Barbara. So much of what we do is preparing adults for
transitions to academic, vocational, or other programs (such as
citizenship). Whatever the transitions, both the ESL and the other
(academic, vocational, etc.) teacher need to learn from each other. An
online professional development program would be very helpful, especially
if it included vignettes of actula teaching in a variety of contexts so
that all could get a better sense of what each context entails. One of my
colleagues at UMBC, Joan Kang Shin, has been developing and presenting
(with a number of other teachers) a series of online modules for ESL and
math, science, and social studies teachers at the high school level. They
have been met with good response. She has learned some of the ways of
encouraging interaction and the development of an online learning
community to make the program even more effective. What she has learned
would work for online professional development programs for teachers of
adults as well. I have copied her on this message, in case she wants to
add more and also to let others know her email address.

Jodi Crandall

--
JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall
Professor of TESOL, Education Department
email: crandall at umbc.edu
www.umbc.edu/llc/
www.umbc.edu/esol/
www.umbc.edu/esol/peacecorps.html