National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2584] Re: 'Currents' in PD

steve.reuys steve.reuys at umb.edu
Wed Oct 8 10:36:01 EDT 2008

Jackie: I would be interested in exploring the question of how to
evaluate or assess the impact or outcomes of professional development
activities that we provide. Using the five levels of evaluation
delineated by Thomas Guskey, we are usually able to evaluate the
first two--participant satisfaction with an activity and participant
learning--but the other three--change in the organization/program,
change in practitioner behavior, and eventual learner gains--are much
more difficult to assess in adult basic education. It would be
interesting to see if others doing professional development in our
field are wrestling with the same issues and anyone has come up with
any useful approaches or strategies for doing this.

Steve Reuys
Director, A.L.R.I./Boston SABES
University of Massachusetts Boston
Wheatley Bldg., 4th fl., rm 04-167