National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2573] Re: The "Decoding" of words, sentences, and paragraphs

Virginia Pulver virginia at nmcl.org
Mon Sep 29 11:44:03 EDT 2008

I am enjoying the discussion.

While my experience is anecdotal, it is far more significant to me than
theories and research, because I needed to learn so I could progress with my
work. I had a fulfilling 27 months on the eastern-most tip of Crimea and my
success was in part, due to the fact that my tutor used a variety of
approaches to help me move forward.

When I was "dropped" into Ukraine and eager to begin my business
development/facilitator projects I needed to learn to read and write Russian
very quickly. Initially, like the Chinese student, I found myself
overwhelmed and having nightmares. Once I changed my focus from deciphering
the words on the printed page and negotiating through the meaning of every
word and instead took a more holistic approach, my skills improved
substantially. Hearing the spoken language, listening to how sentences flow
and discovering patterns in the spoken word, I became far more adept at
using prediction and contextual clues to improve my ability to read and
write. I was grateful to have television because I could follow the basic
plotlines and absorb many nuances of language in a way that did not produce
the performance anxiety that comes from reading and decoding under the eye
of a tutor or coach. I imagine given the systems of education generally
used in Chinese systems, the student mentioned earlier would be even more
inclined to suffer from performance anxiety than would those of us brought
up attending US schools!)

My immersion into Spanish was also accelerated once I began to find ways to
simply hear the language rather than deciphering individual words. (I lived
in Spain for about ten years total and arrived with only a very small
vocabulary and extremely limited experience with hearing the language.)

Life is good.

Virginia J. Pulver, AmeriCorps*VISTA

Recruiting Consultant, NM Coalition for Literacy

3209-B Mercantile Court, Santa Fe NM 87507

virginia at nmcl.org

YOU can become a volunteer adult literacy tutor or

refer adult learners for FREE 1-1 tutoring!

1-800-233-7587

Visit our Website: <http://www.nmcl.org/> www.nmcl.org