National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2515] Re: Response to Wayne Hall's Question

Martin Senger MSenger at GECAC.org
Thu Sep 18 14:18:43 EDT 2008

Pax all!

I have found that most students do not need to be introduced to ALL
sounds, but only the select few that are not in their L1. And by far,
the most common problem sounds are the short vowels. This is a serious,
long-term problem for ELLs, but I don't feel it is prohibitive to
learning English.

For those sounds which are more immediately serious (i.e. "th"), only
personal, one-on-one teaching will do. It is true that ELLs must be
taught to "hear" those sounds, and I have found minimal pairs to be the
best option for that through metacognition.

However, I have also found for those students from southeast Asia, they
have the added problem of breathing and talking, as their languages use
air differently to speak than most.

Hope that helps!

Martin E. Senger
Adult ESL Teacher
GECAC / The R. Benjamin Wiley Learning Center
Erie, Pa
814-490-8510