National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2392] student involvement

Janet Isserlis Janet_Isserlis at brown.edu
Mon Jul 21 14:31:46 EDT 2008

Marty

These are great questions.

I'm wondering what suggestions / recommendations you would make to programs
wanting to work well with learner leaders?

thanks

Janet

From: "VALUE, Inc." <info at valueusa.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:13:35 -0400
To: 'The Adult Literacy Professional Development Discussion List'
<professionaldevelopment at nifl.gov>
Subject: [ProfessionalDevelopment 2337] Re: From critical thinking to
studentinvolvement

Now that the discussion for critical thinking is coming to an end, I have
some questions about professional development of adult education.
Jackie-to start, your definition of student involvement is good but I would
like to make sure that it includes students that are getting ready to finish
up in their programs, and students that have finished in their programs. My
first question is: How does your program systematically collect information
from the student population? How is this information formally put into your
program planning process? My second question is: Now that we have former and
present students volunteering and being paid to work in programs, what
professional development are we offering to these students and is this part
of your program plan? My third question is: If local programs are getting
present and alumni student input into their planning process does your state
plan have student input? Does the state have a plan to help local programs
include student involvement?

Marty

Marty Finsterbusch
Executive Director
VALUE, Inc.

www.valueusa.org <http://www.valueusa.org>
strengthening adult literacy efforts in the USA
through learner involvement and leadership