National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2328] from math for social justice to math for carpentry and nursing

Wrigley, Heide heide at literacywork.com
Wed Jul 16 20:00:49 EDT 2008

Wow - Susan

What great resources - I had no idea! Thanks so much

I have a further question (and apologize for high jacking this particular thread)

Do you (or anyone) have resources for making algebra and geometry accessible to students who didn't take to math in regular school but now need math as a prerequisite to get into training for the jobs they would really like to have (carpentry - both algebra and geometry are required; nursing (algebra and chemistry math)

Adult students ready to transition to occupational training often flunk out of these classes because they are taught fairly disconnected from what students are good at (experiential stuff).

I know some college instructors who would love to make math concepts come alive for their non-traditional students but don't know where to go for resources.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

Heide

Heide Spruck Wrigley