National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2322] What do we mean by student involvement and critical thinking?

S. Lawrence shirleyfaith at frontiernet.net
Sun Jul 13 22:25:20 EDT 2008

This response is to Andy. I absolutely agree with you that adult ELLs' brim with critical thinking skills. I have worked with adult literacy learners for 18 years, and have come to realize that most of the students have critical thinking skills in surviving everyday life outside of the classroom. Thay have developed social networking skills which involve having special relationships with people in their community that they have come to trust and to help them in the personal areas of their lives to be able to "make it".

Trust is a major factor in their relationships, and have found some don't trust their teachers enough to reveal all of their thinking skills.

Yes, andy, you are so right. Our professional development system may need to be sure to prepare teachers for working successfully with these students.

By the way, while we are specking of professional development, I am a literacy consultant, begining to develop professional development as one of my services.

If anyone has any ideas for me to consider, please respond. I appreciate it.

Thanks.
Shirley Lawrence, MS
Literacy Consultant
585-328-3072