National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2308] Critical Thinking and Student Involvement

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Tue Jul 15 08:21:08 EDT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks for the many varied and energizing discussions about critical
thinking and student involvement! I have a few requests as we move
forward:

1. In what ways might the various threads we're discussing connect
to critical thinking and student involvement? Help us all see the
connections where possible.

2. If the discussion is about one student population, like ESL or
ABE, where may there be parallels to teaching other populations? Where
are there differences?

3. We have not reached a consensus definition on critical thinking.
However, we have done a commendable job at articulating facets of it.
Yesterday, I shared our working definition that sifted into 4
categories: cognitive, disposition, questioning assumptions, and
purpose.

This is comparable in many ways to a consensus definition arrived at by
50 experts across various fields -- and it took them 2 years to reach it
(!) I've pasted their definition in prominently on this definition page.
For those curious, please see:

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Terms:Student_Involvement_and_Cri
tical_Thinking

Here is an article that explains it:
http://www.insightassessment.com/pdf_files/what&why2006.pdf

I welcome other definitions you'd like to share.

4. Last, all four areas of our working definition are important.
What strategies do you use that can develop good critical thinkers at
each? How does that lead to student involvement? I think we can agree to
disagree and share strategies from both sides of the argument when we do
not agree.

Thanks again to all! Looking forward,

Jackie

Jackie Taylor, List Moderator, jataylor at utk.edu