National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2295] Re: Whatdo wemeanbystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 14 15:15:20 EDT 2008

To further the analogy, If I want to improve my singing so I can sing in the shower, or in a not so good church choir, or in a very good amateur chorus, or as a professional, my goals are very different. I knew someone who got herself to the performance level she needed to be to do a concert, just to see if she could. Then she decided that she didn't want to invest all the time, effort, and discipline into maintaining this highest level, so decided to spend time on other things, even though she'd "lose" her performance-level singing. So given the survival issues that are different whether one wants to "dabble" in music, or make it one's life, or to learn Italian so I can go on a singing tour with Americans, though I have no intention of living and getting a job in Italy, I have two differing levels I want/need to to attain. We have many Italian-Americans here who only needed to learn enough English to survive in a pre-literacy level jmanufacturing job,
or at the market, and so, when technology changed and their literacy level was no longer sufficient to maintain their jobs, they had a choice: learn, or get fired. The same goes for the women who had to leave th4e market and get factory jobs. I just met a woman who's putting in her resume after 20 years in banking; she had lost her Italian accent and was very competent. Then, like a good Italian girl/woman, she had to leave her job to take care of her ailing mother. When her mother died, she was able to get a job at a not-for-profit some distance away, but where she had to speak a fair amount of Italian, and now she's ashamed of her accent, not to mention not being able to pay the gas it takes to go to her low-paying job. All of this to say that critical thinking about the level of music or language one wants has nothing to do with the classroom, yet nevertheless is critical thinking: decisions are being made, problems solved, big picture examined.
I'm not sure this helps... But it does demonstrate, contrary to what my previous posts may seem to have implied, that I think critical thinking is entirely an academic matter, or can only be engaged at a specific language level. When I was teaching adult ed/esol and techology courses, the going assumption was that one had to be at least intermediate level esol to learn computers. Not so! sure, it helps, but in a program where it's not a generic computer training, and the students can be assisted by ther peers in L1 perhaps, or by the instructor, lower-level students were perfectly capable of learning computers.
Best,
Bonnie Odiorne
Post University