National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2245] Re: What do we mean bystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Louise Wiener lwiener at llfinc.org
Thu Jul 10 10:54:53 EDT 2008

Seems to me critical thinking follows a clear structure and includes
deductive reasoning. Just insisting on your perspective in louder and louder
tones has little to do with critical thinking. Louise

On 7/10/08 8:31 AM, "Janet Isserlis" <Janet_Isserlis at brown.edu> wrote:

> [...]

> that language. That will be perceived as an expression of critical thinking.

> Steve

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Wrigley, Heide <heide at literacywork.com> wrote:

>> Hi, Steve and Bonnie and others

>> I'm not sure that the ability to carry an argument requires good language

>> skills first and foremost - native speakers often are at a loss of how to set

>> up an argument, defute an argument, or recognize faulty thinking or

>> manipuation. Certainly, being able to articulate once thoughts requires

>> strong language skills - so these skills may be necessary but by no means

>> sufficient .

>> In terms of schooling, I come from the tradition that Bonnie describes where

>> there was great value attached to "logical reasoning" and setting up a

>> dialogical essay (thesis, antithesis, synthesis). However, while this is a

>> great skill to have in debates and makes it possilbe to trounce others in bar

>> conversations as you punch holes in their assertions, it does leave out

>> "other ways of knowing" (and if only ever the twain could meet).

>> So on to "critical literacies" then and the possibilities for teaching and

>> learning these notions present?

>> All the best

>> Heide Spruck Wrigley

>> Mesilla, NM

>> From: professionaldevelopment-bounces at nifl.gov

>> [professionaldevelopment-bounces at nifl.gov] On Behalf Of Steve Kaufmann

>> [steve at thelinguist.com]

>> Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 1:03 PM

>> To: Bonnie Odiorne; The Adult Literacy Professional Development Discussion

>> List

>> Subject: [ProfessionalDevelopment 2231] Re: What do we mean

>> bystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

>> With regard to Bonnie's post, I feel that critical thinking is not the same

>> as the ability to present an argument. The former exists to some extent in

>> all of us, and I doubt that it can be deliberately taught as a skill without

>> getting pretty condescending. It is dependent on our personality, culture,

>> and exposure to a variety of experience and points of view.

>> The ability to carry an argument requires good language skills, first and

>> foremost. I do not mean getting the article, tenses and prepositions right, I

>> mean control of a wide vocabulary. In an academic setting it means being able

>> to look at both sides of an argument, to describe competing points of view,

>> and then explain convincingly why one is superior or truer than others. Even

>> ancient Roman rhetoric had the Refutatio where the orator at least pretended

>> to present a view contrary to his own, only to then take it apart.

>> Steve

>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Bonnie Odiorne <bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net>

>> wrote:

>>> I'm very interested in writing and critical thinking at the moment. Stay

>>> with me here: this may get a little convoluted. Don't get me wrong: I don't

>>> for a heartbeat think that most ESOL students, even fairly "advanced" ones

>>> http://social.chass.ncsu.edu/slatta/hi216/learning/bloom.htm

>>> Just thinking out loud, critically or not.... :-)

>>> Bonnie Odiorne

>>> professionaldevelopment at nifl.gov

>>> To unsubscribe or change your subscription settings, please go to

>>> Professional Development section of the Adult Literacy Education Wiki

>>> http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Adult_Literacy_Professional_Developme

>>> nt