National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2233] Re: Who Are We in theBeginning ESL classroom

Wrigley, Heide heide at literacywork.com
Wed Jul 9 15:22:41 EDT 2008

And to add to Cynthia's ideas below

Bring in "Material World" (Sierra Publishing) by Peter Menzel

Ask students "What do you see?" (Model for very beginners "I see a man ......) - Invite students to work in pairs or small groups to select a picture to look at and talk about. Walk around and be their dictionary (for words they want to know - all students have to do is point to the items in the picture).

And to extend Cynthia's ideas further - Ask students to map "the migrant trail" - tracing lines between beginning and ending places for their journey from "home" to your class (be sensitive to all the different ways immigrants cross borders). Are there "sending villages" and receiving places where families and entire groups end up? What are the push/pull factors of emigration/immigration - consider moving from the personal to socio-political - treading softly and gauging the mood/interest/anxiety of the class as you try out ideas

Heide