National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2232] Re: What do we mean bystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Sandman-Hurley, Kelli KSandmanHurley at sandiego.gov
Wed Jul 9 15:24:12 EDT 2008

I may be off the mark on this one, but I think we may all need to take a closer look at Critical Literacy rather than critical thinking in the adult education classrooms (and volunteer-based programs), which was popularized by Freire. There is a lot of new literature about critical literacy and a lot to be learned about critical literacy in the k-12 literature that can be valuable to us. If we look at critical thinking through the lens of critical literacy we may have more options and resources with which to teach these skills.