National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2220] Re: What do we mean by studentinvolvement and critical thinking?

VALUE, Inc. info at valueusa.org
Tue Jul 8 22:27:51 EDT 2008

Hi, this Marty again. To David, Steve and all others:

The issue of technology and literacy is missing something here, I think.
Technology is a tool to help achieve ones goals. It is how we use technology
and what technology we use that is the issue here. What about ESL computer
programs that would allow the ESL student to speak in their native language
while the computer translates into English? What kind of impact would this
technology have on ESL programs? This technology continues to improve; how
many more ESL students could be helped if this technology were utilized in
programs. No one is suggesting that the human component of adult literacy
education be replaced with computers: remember technology is a tool.

What about technology for the blind and hearing impaired being used to help
adult learners with learning disabilities? With this field, we need to look
at technology as a way to help meet the students' needs. We are not
currently looking hard enough at various technologies and trying to adapt
them to the adult learner.

Marty

Marty Finsterbusch

Executive Director

VALUE, Inc.

www.valueusa.org

strengthening adult literacy efforts in the USA

through learner involvement and leadership