National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2187] Re: What do we mean by studentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Cynthia Peters cynthia_peters at worlded.org
Mon Jul 7 12:07:36 EDT 2008

Hi Jackie —

I've been replying to other people's posts, but let me make some
general comments here....

> Both student involvement and critical thinking in adult literacy can

> mean many things to many people. What do we mean when we say we're

> teaching critical thinking? How do you teach critical thinking?

To me, critical thinking is about using your mind fully. I think to
have a true democracy, we can do with nothing less than everyone's fully
functioning minds. That means we have to work to make sure that minds
are not shut down by fear, by the feeling that maybe they're not good
enough, by the worry that they don't have a right to their own voice,
etc. Lots of msgs, in society (and in schools) instruct students to not
trust themselves and to not believe in themselves and to buy the idea
that *others* are experts. Teaching for critical thinking attempts to
counter those msgs. and reverse those tendencies.

> What is student involvement? Where does critical thinking come in?

To me, true student involvement has to go beyond superficial gestures.
For example, students should be empowered to figure out *how* they want
to be involved.

Let me leave it (briefly) at that for now. I'd like to hear what others
think...

Cynthia
--

Cynthia Peters