National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2117] Re: To COABE Conference Attendees - froma friend who could not get permission to attend

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Sun May 4 16:50:42 EDT 2008

Hello Gina!

Thanks for your very timely prompt - encouraging us to think about ways
to use the Internet in PD. While we advocate for PD funding we must also
identify creative PD options to see us through the difficult times.

1. How will you use technology to expand upon what you learn at the
conference?

I have created an ALE Wiki page where we could gather COABE attendees'
key take-aways from the conference:

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/COABE_2008
<http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/COABE_2008>

2. Will you do any formal or informal "follow-through" activities
online related to the sessions you attended?

Yes. In fact last year, this List hosted a formal follow up to the AALPD
PreConference at COABE called "Going the Distance"
(http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Going_the_Distance
<http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Going_the_Distance> ) where we
explored online and blended models of sustained professional
development. List subscribers should let me know (soon) which topics or
sessions that they would like to see specific follow up discussion for
the Professional Development List.

Examples of ways we can do follow up:

* We can begin by discussing key take-aways from COABE on this
list.

* We could host a guest or topic discussion (or series of short
discussions) on issues that resonate with PD List subscribers.

* Different COABE session presenters could be invited at various
times to share their presentation with us on this list and/or to be
available to discuss the issue, strategy, research, etc. that their
sessions addressed.

-- Other ideas?

3. Can you give me advice on how to encourage and engage my
Delaware colleagues into a serious online discussion regarding using the
Internet for professional development?

That is a question (when considered more broadly) that might be of
interest to others on this list. I think one way to do that is to
ratchet up the discussions on it here. What if we had a series of short
discussions this summer on the PD List regarding "Web 2.0 in
Professional Development"? For example:

* In June we might have a discussion of the role of the Internet
in program-based PD, and Web 2.0 tools and other processes for creating
PD plans and matching objectives with online resources.

* In July we might explore the role of social media in PD
including blogs, Second Life, wikis, etc. That might also include
discussion of work project environments that other PD colleagues are
using (Base camp, Community Zero, etc.), and some tools that we may not
be using that could be used (Jott, VoiceThread, Mlearning, etc.)

* In August we could talk about virtual conferences happening in
other countries, like NZ. We could also discuss the fall online course
options available: state and national online PD, including blended PD
and creative options for using courses offered nationally for PD credit.

Those are just a few ideas.

Having a discussion about how to use the Internet in PD on the PD List
might do at least two things. It could provide an opportunity for us to
explore that issue while also encouraging practitioners in our
respective states to participate in these discussions.

-- What do others think?

4. What have been your most positive experiences using online
forums for professional development?

Well, I'm biased but I've learned A LOT from subscribers on NIFL lists!

5. What do you believe to be the greatest obstacles toward building
a stronger practice of online (adult education) professional
development?

Big question - perhaps we could address it in a discussion of Web 2.0 in
Professional Development?

6. Any other comments?

Thank you for prompting us to slow down enough to consider these issues!

Best, Jackie Taylor, jataylor at utk.edu