National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2105] Re: The PD List and COABE

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 17:05:26 EDT 2008

Hi-- I have already described my sessions but will remind the list according to Jackie's good questions.
Here are the why's:
    First session: The NAASLN pre-conference strand on adult learners with special needs:  Many reasons to attend this one:  Special needs learners in adult ed are always a puzzle to programs and teachers.  This session will provide an unprecedented opportunity to talk to practitioners and administrators of many kinds of adult education programs about how they have successfully addressed the needs of these learners.  Among these people, from all over the country, will be two teachers--maybe three- who have made significant changes in their ESOL practice in the attempt to address a wider range of learners' needs and who have had great success in that endeavor.  Why attend?  This session will provide participants with resources for getting more information and answers about learners with special needs of all kinds.  NAASLN is looking to become the "go-to" place for such information, and this session will demonstrate why that can happen.

Second session: Tuesday afternoon-- Using minimal pairs to help adult ESOL learners with their auditory perception of English
A teacher who undertook a pilot study on the use of minimal pairs in one of his two classes in a large ESOL school in DC will share his experiences and student response to the use of minimal pairs in class.  I will present some theoretical groundwork for the project and the need for such attention to adult ESOL learners' listening skill improvement.   Why attend?? Because this approach is little used and discussed despite the clear research evidence showing that adult language learners need explicit instruction in sound discrimination.  Also, you will learn how easy and fun it is to do this work.   Finally, this project came about because of a PD project in this school, where the administration supports any and all attempts at helping learners be successful and of teachers to expand their practice to this end.  The model of PD is one to learn about!

Third session-- Wednesday Afternoon-- (I don't have the title of this one right)-- Addressing the needs of all adult ESOL learners through the use of learning centers and individualized, multisensory activities.   Two teachers representing a PD project in the mid-Hudson region of NY state will talk about and show their  work with learning centers and learner- driven instruction in their adult ESOL classes.  These are among the most successful teachers in this project who have shifted practice to increase engagement, promote persistence and improve learner outcomes-- all of which have happened.   Again, I will present the theoretical overview of this approach and will briefly describe the PD project that has supported these teachers in their work for almost two years.  Why attend??  Because adult ESOL classes, particularly those in drop-in, open enrollment situations, present so many challenges to teachers and seeing a successful model of managing these challenges may help you understand how it can be done.

Fourth session:  Thursday AM-- Assuring the success of non/preliterate adult ESOL learners. This population of learners has a much different set of needs than do learners who have even a little education.   In this session, I will explain those needs and provide concrete ideas for ways to address the needs and assure that these learners get the foundation instruction and information they need to get off to a good start in beginning literacy --in other words, I will be talking about PRE-literacy skills, not how to teach these learners to read.  Why attend?  Because these learners are so often suspected of having LD when they do not learn at the pace expected; this happens because they are compared to literate learners and because their needs are so much more fundamental than teachers realize.   Learning how to teach these fundamental skills will make you a more effective teacher for this population and will go a long way in preventing these learners from being suspected of having learning problems.

Looking forward to meeting/seeing many of you in St. Louis.   Robin Lovrien Schwarz