National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2097] Re: Metaphors for what teachers do

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 09:33:31 EDT 2008

Thanks for this intriguing list, Jay.

I can only think about metaphors for teaching in the context of a
particular lesson I have taught, or a classroom or teacher I have
observed. I suggest the following two strategies to those whose
interest Jay has piqued, but who -- as I did at first -- draw a
metaphor blank:

• Think about a lesson you have taught or seen. Look at Jay's list.
Do any of these metaphors fit? Are any of them the opposite of the
metaphor you would choose to describe the lesson? Do they suggest to
you a better metaphor?

• My colleagues and I have put together (as far as I know the only
free, public, adult literacy education Web-site) collection of short
videos of classrooms and tutorials. Most are about 3-4 minutes long.
It's called the Media Library of Teaching Skills (MLoTS), and it's
designed for use by professional developers or teachers, to help
answer adult literacy education (including numeracy, English, and
secondary education) teachers' needs to see what other teachers do in
their classrooms. On the main page, so far, there are only a few
videos, but there will be more soon. On the Other Adult Learning
Videos page, there are many more. Look at one or two of these videos
and then either choose a metaphor from the list below, or come up
with your own metaphor, and share it with us.

The MLoTS (mmmLOTS! -- referring to how many videos we hope to have
there) Web address is

http://mlots.org

Be sure to also look at the page that is linked: "Other Adult
Learning Videos".

Here are a few of my own metaphors -- from teaching adolescents and
adults -- to add to Jay's list:

• Friends' (Quakers) meeting (i.e. waiting through the hard silence
for students to think and respond)
• "Sage on the Stage"
• "Guide by the side"
• Roller skating (getting around to each student in the class
individually)
• Fire fighting (putting out brush fires)

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net