National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1936] Re: better training for volunteer tutors

Holly Dilatush holly at dilatush.com
Sat Feb 9 19:12:40 EST 2008

Oh, this conversation is toooo tempting! I like these exchanges!
Holly's anecdote number one:

There are several organizations here in Charlottesville VA which offer free
tutoring -- for ESOL learners -- and I've volunteered for and/or been
employed by nearly all of them over the past nine years. There are several
volunteer tutors -- many of whom were K-12 teachers prior to 'retirement'
and others who have been through Literacy Volunteer training, some twice!
Many volunteers have their master's degrees -- in English or Education.
Many feel, as Robin has detailed, ill-prepared for successful meaningful
work with their assigned ESOL tutee matches. Many report enjoying their
time with their matched student, but not feeling effective.

Last year, one volunteer offered to coordinate a casual get-together -- at
her home -- as a pot-luck styled come when you can, stay for two or more
hours if you can, exchange ideas, challenges, positive moments, quandaries,
resources, what has worked; what hasn't worked, etc. She sent invitations
to many ESOL teachers in the area -- and to every volunteer tutor she could
connect with.

I attended that meeting -- it was packed! over 20 of us spent the
afternoon in this exchange.
Nearly every comment made by Robin and others here in this exchange was
expressed by one person or another during those few hours. Many were
relieved to learn that there indeed were possible avenues, free and not -
where they might obtain further training. Many simply wanted to know "the
one best book to buy to help them improve their tutoring." Online training
resources were shared. All agreed it would be great if more were provided
by way of exchanges like this one -- coupled with "real" training...

---
Second anecdote --
I've served as Volunteer Coordinator for an Adult Learning Center, and as
tutor-trainer for Literacy Volunteers -- and I've planned for and scheduled
many a meeting to offer further tutor-trainings -- nearly all were sparsely
attended -- obviously an inefficient approach...there are of course several
reasons why this may have been so... Those who did attend appreciated it,
so it was not wasted time, just inefficient use of time. ALL wished there
were more opportunities to exchange ideas and experiences with other
tutors...

Last spring, I scheduled an "open house" to showcase resources, meet other
tutors, receive a thank you acknowledgment, meet the program director, and
chat with each other -- it, too was well attended... well-received.
--
What might we learn from these stories? What further questions do they
prompt (if any)?

I agree with most of Robin's points here -- confronting the realities --
pros and cons -- is a much-needed step toward a probable shared goal.
There are things many organizations do well. Researching, reviewing best
practices for ideas is a start. ADDIE your tutoring programs, and encourage
someone else who is not integrally involved in your tutor progam to ADDIE
with you! Then DIAT (Do It Again Thoughtfully).
[ADDIE = Analyze, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluate] Then talk to others
and share what you've learned / surmised.
I know this listserv has sparked many a "hmmm......." moment in my brain!
Small steps are at least steps..
Status quo (in many situations) should not be "patted on the back" and
describeda s "success." [This is a disservice to all in my opinion]

Thanks to Robin and all who have posted on this thread.

On 2/9/08, robinschwarz1 at aol.com <robinschwarz1 at aol.com> wrote:

> I know that my brush is broad (it's a bad habit of mine) --and that there

> are MANY competent tutors out there--somewhere. I have heard about many at

> literacy conferences, for example who have done wonders with their

> learners. .....

Holly (Dilatush)