National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1892] Re: Teacher learning styles

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 24 18:08:37 EST 2008

Dear colleagues,
Thanks, Jackie, for the follow-up question.
A wonderful way of provoking reflection, in any area, is a facilitated labyrinth walk, which can easily be adapted and contextualized for any purpose, educational or meditative. I am certain that it would be understandable to conference participants in the context of multiple intelligences, learning styles, finding creativity, motivation, purpose and intention. The labyrinth is a circular path with one entrance, a center, and one exitis by the same circuitous paths by which one entered. It is not a maze: just follow the path. The center has 6 petals, which one could associate with learning styles, multiple intelligences, or whatever categories of mindfulness the participant decides is important. Since the turns reverse directions as one follows the circuit, it is believed that right and left brain functions are fully engaged by the walk. It is certainly a multisensory-multimodality experience, involving kinesthetic (movement), auditory (optional music),
visual (the path itself, an ambience of labyrinth-related objects, candles, flowers, scarves, whatever). It can lend itself to verbal processing; while one doesn't want a "paper and pencil" exercise, participants are encouraged to journal their experience after and share it if they wish. Gardiner wished to have added a "spiritual/creative" intelligence, (and sometimes he wishes he'd never invented the idea of multiple intelligences!) so the meditation can contribute to that aspect as well. I wonder if the "mindfulness" as a reflection on multiple intelligences or learning styles would come from the teacher's own experiential learning from the activity, as well as reflecting on the experience of students who, as the teachers would in a labyrinth walk, potentially experience sensory overload, as do ELLs coming to a new language and culture, with a whole set of multiple inputs where learning is in every daily activity: nothing can be taken for granted.
I published an article in Changes (don't have the reference offhand) on a peace walk in an elementary school adult education/family literacy setting, including ESL students. Participants could reflect on the 'strangeness' of the labyrinth experience if they're not familiar with it, associate "peace" with silence and meditation, and equate it to the experience of new English Language Learners trying to walk a path set out for them they've never seen before, feeling lost.... Or, in the context of the Peace walk, which was just after 9/11, participants could imagine alternative pathways for themselves, their students, the world.
Warmest regards, and many thanks for presenting this fascinating and thought-provoking process,
Bonnie Odiorne, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor in English, French, and Freshman Studies
Writing Center Director
Post University
Waterbury, CT