National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1823] Impact of Accountability

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Thu Jan 3 14:50:23 EST 2008

Hello everyone, and Happy 2008!

Thanks to Cris Smith for reminding us about the Accountability and PD
survey. Forty responses so far - that's great!

Obviously, folks have some thoughts about this issue. So what _do_
people think? How is the accountability system affecting PD in our
field?

How has it affected professional development in your program and/or
state? (No effect at all? Strong effect?)

To what extent has PD changed since the advent of the NRS? (ex: Is PD
assessment training required now)? Have these changes been positive?
Negative? Or do you see mixed results?

Don't forget - the 1998 WIA not only tightened the focus of the Adult
Education and Literacy System on quality and accountability, but at the
same time provided less state leadership dollars for PD.

For background on the issue, visit:

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Key_Issues_for_Professional_Devel
opment

Scroll down to "VIII: Impact of Accountability - The Political Climate,
State, and Federal Mandates"

I'd like a sneak-peak at where we are with this issue. Thanks in advance
for your thoughts.

Jackie

Jackie Taylor

Adult Literacy Professional Development List Moderator

jataylor at utk.edu