National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2523] Re: Response to Wayne Hall's Question

Martin Senger MSenger at GECAC.org
Fri Sep 19 08:07:46 EDT 2008

Pax Steve!

One thing I would like to mention is that by speaking 12 languages, you
must already have the metacognition (learned intrinsically?) needed to
recognize and imitate sounds from different languages. I myself have
studied several languages (alas I cannot "speak" any of them well), and
in that process I have come to learn how to change the configuration of
my speech processes to make "foreign" sounds.

Some of my students have studied several languages, but most are working
on that most difficult language to learn: their first "second" language,
and thus have difficulty understanding the physical difference between
speaking any two languages. And I must also add that since I believe it
is more a physical process (and not entirely mental), practice, as
always, is the only route to better pronunciation. And therefore, I
agree that any activity that will allow the student to hear and use a
new sound will be helpful.

But I also think that working with students one-on-one on particularly
difficult individual sounds, for whatever reason (physical/mental), is
the quickest route to limiting, or even eliminating, those problems.

Martin E. Senger
Adult ESL Teacher
GECAC / The R. Benjamin Wiley Learning Center
Erie, Pa
814-490-8510