National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2372] Re: Questioning and DiscussionStrategies for Practicing Critical Thinking

French, Allan afrench at sccd.ctc.edu
Fri Jul 18 19:25:56 EDT 2008

Heather:

With all due respect, I think there are several problems with taking
such a stark approach (going to the source is the only way, and anything
less is a "bastardization"....WOW!) to this issue. I just don't see it
as an all or nothing question. I applaud your stress on going back to
the original, but that in itself has many problems attached to it.

If 20 students read Plato, there would be 20 different understandings of
the original text. In addition, many would claim not to understand the
text very well (even more so with the Hegel that Michael Tate has
referred to). Since Socrates is not here, we would have to have some
form of intervener (dare I say "teacher") to help us. What are the
implications of this. Now if I may be a little provocative, is it a
bastardization for Christians to rely on St. Paul to understand how to
follow the gospel of Jesus, or for Muslims to follow some Iman or
Ayatollah to understand the Koran?

In line with Michael's critique, reading an original text, doesn't
guarantee that you understand all that went into it or what lies between
the lines. Reading the Declaration of Independence doesn't tell you
that it was a changed document after the southern colonies threatened
to vote against the first draft which referred to the end of slavery, or
that Jefferson himself owned slaves.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for going back to the original, but that
can hardly be sufficient. The real issue is with application of any
perspective, theory or model. We are engaged in activities that even
Socrates could not imagine, so the important thing is how we can
interpret the Socratic Method, or even someone else's enhancement of it,
and apply it to entirely new situations. Yes, it is very good to read
Dewey, Freire et al, but it is also very useful to read how others have
interpreted and applied their teachings to their own educational
situations.

Allan French

ESL Instructor

South Seattle Community College