National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2556] Re: The "Decoding" of words, sentences, and paragraphs

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 13:34:43 EDT 2008

What you say works for most types of reading, but not academic--maybe even literary--reading,  where the ways the words connect are crucial, and an overall idea may not be sufficient. I have a Chinese student now under considerable stress because he cannot make the jump quickly enough to academic language to understand the textbook material, let alone the professor. Any tutoring he gets from me in reading strategies, finding the important concepts, and explaining the meaning of the words in paraphrase, giving the pronunciation in the hope that when his professor uses it he can understand it, doesn't really seem to help the fundamental problem: he needs more time to assimilate the language. As someone has said, depending on sight words, context clues et al. to "guess" the most likely meaning of a sentence or paragraph can only take one so far, and some of that misperception of connection, grammar and syntax can be crucial to meaning. But tell that to the
young man who's having nightmares, and is so tired he can barely stay awake.
Bonnie Odiorne, Ph.D.
Director, Writing Center, Adjunct Professor
Post University, Waterbury, CT
bonnisophia at sbcglobal.net