National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2536] Re: New Issue of Change Agent

Virginia Pulver virginia at nmcl.org
Tue Sep 23 15:38:38 EDT 2008

Having recently returned to the USA after 2 ½ years living in easternmost
Crimea, among ethnic Russians who are legally tied to Ukraine, I concur with
much of what Steve is saying. While this forum is not about politics, I
find myself quite concerned on what is going on in Russia – sadly, the
history of Ukraine comprises is a vivid lesson in the former Soviet Union’s
skill in controlling information, manipulating people and re-writing
history. We should be mindful and wary of the current situation in Russia

Enough about politics

It is well worth noting that as we work with students, we can be more
successful if they are engaged by the topics or materials we work with. A
degree of flexibility leads to greater success. In preparing materials, we
are, in a sense, designing a map of the terrain. This helps us to be
familiar with our materials and to visualize the direction of our path.
But when we begin the journey, the map becomes simply a tool. Something we
may consult or disregard when the events of the day intervene. How often do
you, in the course of your travels, give in o the impulse to take a
different route? I think in settings where people are learning and growing,
it is wise to keep a watchful eye on what engages and motivates the learner.
That may mean discarding the careful plan and taking a refreshing detour
down the road. I know this from my own efforts to learn Russian and in my
efforts to encourage students to practice their English skills. I also
know this from my work in instructional systems design – we sometimes called
deviations “opportune training” and those occasions were frequently among
the best learning experiences students had.

And perhaps the students interests will wind down a more political or
controversial road
if there is some passion, the student will learn far
more quickly
and a skilled facilitator can use impromptu deviations quite
effectively

FYI: These are just my personal, off the cuff thoughts
and not a
reflection on the organization I am currently affiliated with.

Life is good

“Ginn”

Virginia J. Pulver, AmeriCorps*VISTA

Recruiting Consultant, NM Coalition for Literacy

3209-B Mercantile Court, Santa Fe NM 87507

virginia at nmcl.org

YOU can become a volunteer adult literacy tutor or

refer adult learners for FREE 1-1 tutoring!

1-800-233-7587

Visit our Website: <http://www.nmcl.org/> www.nmcl.org