National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2525] Re: Response to Wayne Hall's Question

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Fri Sep 19 11:48:32 EDT 2008

Martin,

In my experience it is not useful for learners to try too hard to pronounce
"correctly" when starting to learn a new language. Being confronted with a
teacher helping learners do something that they are going to have a lot of
difficulty doing, is not the route that I recommend.

I think it is preferable to allow learners to do a lot of listening and let
their brain get used to the language. After 6 months of exposure to lots of
listening and reading, the learner will have a much easier time, on all
fronts.

Finally, the ability to pronounce is based on the ability to hear sounds,
and the willingness to "play act" and let go, when reproducing them. To me,
this neural development is quite a complex process, and primarily a mental
one, and even an emotional one, rather than a physical one.

Of course students can benefit from one on one coaching, but that is such an
expensive approach, that it does not strike me as the ideal solution for
most learners, nor is it necessary. At any rate a small amount of one on one
encouragement should be able to go a long way.

Steve

--
Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com