National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2480] Financial litereacy publications

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 22:25:31 EDT 2008

Libby,

For over a decade, beginning in the mid-1990's, the Fannie Mae
Foundation (at the time and until 2007, a separate organization from
the Fannie Mae Corporation) sponsored many adult literacy education
(including ESOL/ESL) curriculum and teacher training projects in
homebuying and in other aspects of financial literacy. Their
excellent classroom materials in homebuying awareness (including
information on when it was or was not a good idea to buy a home) were
distributed free in classroom sets to adult education programs across
the U.S. Some were published in multiple languages.

Although these materials are no longer distributed in hard copy, some
of the financial literacy publications are available in literacy
libraries, for example at the library of the Adult Literacy Resource
Institute/Greater Boston Regional Support Center of the Massachusetts
System of Adult Basic Education Support at the University of
Massachusetts (www.sabes.org) , and some publications are available
free online at

http://www.fanniemaefoundation.org/publications/educational_tools.html

for example,