National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2320] Re: Critical Thinkingand LearnerLeadership

Jac-Lynn Stark jaclynn10 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 12:36:12 EDT 2008

I've had very similar experiences to Cynthia's where
students were talking about violence and murders in
their community and I became concerned that I wouldn't
be able to handle what might come up in the
conversation. But I have found that when I let the
conversation go in the direction that the students
needed to go, regardless of my initial discomfort with
the topic, that students were definitely thinking
critically about concerns that mattered to them. I
think this highlights the need for curriculum to
include topics that are important to students in
order to make best use of students' natural tendencies
to think critically.

=== message truncated ===