National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2299] Re: Whatdowemeanbystudentinvolvementand critical thinking?

Lenore Balliro lenore_balliro at worlded.org
Mon Jul 14 16:06:51 EDT 2008

Steve,
What I meant was helping students distinguish between cases where
accuracy is really important (especially in written discourse) and where
it doesn't have a great deal of consequences can also free them of the
anxiety of being correct all the time, thus taking more risks. This is
something that comes with reflection and practice, not automatically.

>>> "Steve Kaufmann" <steve at thelinguist.com> 7/14/2008 3:59 PM >>>

Leonore,Bonnie and others

One of the most important messages to a person learning a language is
that
"correct' or "perfect" does not matter. Fluency is a realistic goal
because
it can be achieved while making mistakes and having an accent. There
are
always words that we do not understand, or thoughts we cannot quite
express
the way we would like. Learners, in my experience, appreciate this
message
immensely.

The language gradually gets clearer, with the occasionally moments of
clarity alternating with moments of darkness.

The importance of the analogy with singing is that for most people,
they
require enjoyment and continuing practice, and a minimum of theory.
They are
better learned through imitation than explanation. It is easier to sing
song that you have heard a few times. It is easier to repeat the
phrases of
a language after lots of exposure.

The difference might be that not everyone can sing. Most people can
speak,
and can learn another language. In those countries where it is
considered
normal to speak more than one language, people just do, whether in
Africa,
Singapore or Sweden. No big deal.

Steve
--