National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2275] On dialogue and critical thinking

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Sun Jul 13 19:29:42 EDT 2008

Hi Steve, (All)

You wrote:

"Unfortunately, the recent trend in educational circles seems to favour
"dialoguing", whereby we pretend to agree with whatever is said, and
look for points that we have in common, and should avoid trying to
persuade anyone of one's point of view. This leads to a sterile
discussion. It only works if everyone actually does agree, or if
contrary views can be suppressed.."

I disagree with how you are characterizing dialogue. Do you mean to
equate dialogue with some type of cooperation or consensus, or group
think..? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink)

I believe dialogue is about presenting one's point of view, but then
looking for meaning, suspending assumptions (i.e. suspend as in to hold
out assumptions and examine them), being open to changing one's
position... Dialogue and the knowledge constructed as a result are
greater than the sum of its parts and what is constructed is only as
rich as the diverse perspectives brought to the table. It depends on
seeking authentic meaning and a 'safe space' so that individuals feel
comfortable expressing their views (thus eliciting more diverse
perspectives). It does include finding common ground, but I see it as
being more about constructing new knowledge, attitudes, and the group
dynamics needed for that construction.

And what does this have to do with critical thinking and student
involvement?

One uses critical thinking in dialogue. What does "the other" mean by
what she said? How is what I'm saying reflected in the other's position?
How is it not? How might I understand the other better? What are the
"right questions" I need to ask in order to do that? All too often I
think we are afraid to "ask back" for fear of appearing somehow "less
than" or as if one might "not know" what the other means.

It also levels the playing field and the instructor or facilitator is
not perceived as "the expert" with all the answers; both students and
instructors have expertise to contribute. It would be interesting, I
think, to explore strategies for facilitating dialogue vs. debate.

As always, I welcome others' thoughts.

Best, Jackie

Jackie Taylor

jataylor at utk.edu