National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2183] Re: Introductions and Questions: Student Involvement and Critical Thinking

Janet Isserlis Janet_Isserlis at brown.edu
Mon Jul 7 09:04:00 EDT 2008

Heide, and all

Thanks for nudging us towards thinking about specific issues, prompts and
approaches.

The notion of critical thinking, and what it means, is probably one we could
spend a long time parsing out among ourselves. In terms of adult learning
(arguably, we're all adult learners), to me, critical thinking has to do
with understanding possibilities, possible outcomes (if I do X, Y, Z, or A
could happen), and making informed decisions with the knowledge and
information I have on hand ‹ and/or knowing how to get the information I
might need in order to make whatever decision it is I'm making. ("Decision"
here could mean deciding what something means, as well as deciding what to
do about something).

In some areas all of us are very good critical thinkers; in other realms,
maybe not so much.

So, with beginning ESL lit learners, one important step seems to be in
helping people name what they know and working to help them
find/construct/use language that helps them then discuss and articulate what
they know. I agree that use of the first language ­ where feasible ­ is an
important step. I also wonder about modelling the use of critical thinking
processes with less 'critical' issues, to begin with (e.g. working out the
cost of a list of groceries, determining which shop has the better prices
and leading, then, towards the notion of how and where people choose to
spend their money, and ­ perhaps more important ­ how and why it is that
some people are able to earn or inherit more money than others. Or
whatever. Our job is not to instil or impose beliefs, as we know, but to
work with learners to help them articulate their own thoughts, engage in
dialogue with one another and with others in their communities, in ways that
help them accomplish whatever it is they're wanting to do.

other thoughts?

Janet Isserlis