National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2035] from Cris, Evidence-based Practice PreConference

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Mon Mar 10 16:04:37 EDT 2008

To the AALPD listserv members:

Cristine Smith here. While you are at the AALPD pre-conference this
year, why not think about recommending to the state staff, teachers and
program administrators in your state to attend the pre-conference
workshop on Evidence-based Practice, which will be facilitated by me and
Kaye Beall. We at NCSALL created this one-day workshop, with funding
through NIFL, to help practitioners understand what evidence-based
practice is and what research is all about. It is an interactive, fun,
and experiential set of activities that helps those with "research
phobia" to feel comfortable looking at and judging the usefulness of
adult basic education and literacy-related research. In the afternoon,
there is time to think about how to apply what is learned once back in
your program, especially how to integrate what's been learned about
reading with your program's priorities for improvement.

To participate, just suggest to those in your state that they go to
http://www.coabeconference.org/form.html

and when you register for the conference, click the box under
"Preconferences" that says:

Evidence-Based Practice: A Workshop for Training Adult Basic Education,
TANF and One-Stop Practitioners and Program Administrators/LINCS
Regional Resource Centers

See you in St. Louis! Thanks.

Cristine Smith

Assistant Professor