National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1957] Re: Debunking Multiple intelligences

Susan McShane smcshane at famlit.org
Tue Feb 12 11:10:36 EST 2008

I agree with you about the need to maintain the connection with
research. I don't argue for common sense instead of research-based
theory and practice. The problem I've had in the past with identifying
individual learning styles has to do with the assessments. The ones I
recall (and it's been a good while since I've looked at this) couldn't
be valid measures when used with any adult with reading problems. If you
prefer to learn something by watching a demonstration or trying it out
yourself, it may simply be because you're not a good reader. It may have
nothing to do with not being a "visual learner." I remembered that they
were tested with college students, and I also remember being concerned
that they might not be appropriate for many of our ABE and literacy
students.

Multiple intelligences seems to be a somewhat broader concept and I find
it easier to reconcile with my sense of the kinds of differences that
exist, but I keep an open mind about all of this, and (when I have the
time!) I'd like to look at some of the more recent research. I'm sure
I'm well behind the times!