National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1937] Re: better training for volunteer tutors

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 9 20:44:02 EST 2008

Having initially come from academics foreign language teaching to ESOL/Reading tutoring, then tutor trainer, trainer trainer, train the trainers trainer, I do feel qualified to respond about this. In my own case, I could just transfer my own academic training to this new field, and deeply appreciate the pedagogical reflections and techniques that one rarely gets in academic programs that are not education or teacher training. As for the tutors and trainers I've worked with, it's run the gamut from the highly talented to those who chose their students with great care so they'd be successful, to those who treated our students with a great deal of cultural bias, to those who resisted changes to the training where I tried to incorporate adult ed/ESOL"best practices" on the grounds that we should be grateful that they volunteer their time and should not expect any more than that--hence the stereotypes. Unfortunately, I left LVA before it became ProLiteracy
and our affiliate became accredited (no, the events were not connected :-) so I don't know how tutor training is playing out now that tutors need to be re-certified and/or keep up with some kind of in-service to stay certified. Having also seen both academic and adult ed ESOL professionals in action, I'd say they run the same gamut on a different scale. I've entered many new fields by learning/doing/self education, and then academic research and development when needed. Not a bad way to stay flexible; not a great way to stay on top of CEUs....
Cheers to all gifted teachers, volunteer and professional!!!! I don't always put myself in the gifted category, believe me. It's always a struggle to find the best strategy, pedagogy, balance, each and every day.
Bonnie Odiorne