National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1927] Re: Debunking Multiple Intelligences andLearning Styles

Catherine B. King cb.king at verizon.net
Sat Feb 9 11:01:05 EST 2008

Hello Tom:

FYI, I teach K-12 teachers who swear by various forms of differentiated
instruction, including relating Gardner's different learning styles to their
students (the last time I read him on TCR below, he said he was still
developing the theory). Apparently, for these many, many teachers,
learning about the different learning styles has answered many questions for
them and helped them tremendously in their day-to-day pedagogy--I hear this
from virtually all of my teachers who, inspite of too-large classes, are
moving towards development of IEPs (Individual Educational Plans) for all of
their students. They are only interested in what works for their students,
and apparently this works.

Also, in the K-12 literature there is much writing done about learning
styles. Check the archives of Teachers College Record and Education Week.
www.tcrecord.org and www.edweek.org for threads of reference. It's a
vibrant and moving field.

I don't know how the ongoing research and buildup of K-12 teacher-experience
may relate or translate to Adult Education--certainly it deserves some
thought and probing, at the very least. However, I think your comment:
"....or other very malformed ideas" may be premature, and sounds to me more
like contempt, rather than to the open-mindedness and thoughtful
evidence-gathering that you so rightly call for in any professional and
critical environment. Positivism is dying, but oh-so-slowly.

Regards,

Catherine King
Adjunct Instructor
Department of Education