National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1832] Re: Is professional developmentaccountable?

Tyskiewicz, Andy atyskiewicz at crec.org
Mon Jan 7 09:53:59 EST 2008

In my experience, accountability in PD has been rather limited since it
is often loose in structure - workshop attendance, etc. rather than a
closely monitored or programmed process in which one tracks learning as
we do with students. I don't think we have been serious enough with
outcomes because we haven't been serious enough about jobs for staff and
their evaluation process. In the case of certified/unionized teachers,
we have been more accountable with them and they are held to higher
standards. These positions exist in CT but are very few.