National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 486] Re: GED and College Admissions

Katrina Hinson KHinson at future-gate.com
Wed Sep 6 21:31:48 EDT 2006

See for me, as a GED instructor - I want my students to be ready for the
college level. I don't want them to meet the frustration of multiple
developmental classes. From prior discussions on other lists, I remember
that one statistic was that when a GED graduate has to take more than
one developmental, he/she is less likey to finish their post secondary
degree. I want to limit this for my students yet the struggle is to
figure out how to accomplish that (as I stated in my original e-mail).
I want them to know from the beginning what it takes to get where they
want to go, be it a good job, that pays well or a college campus. What
does it mean to be "college" ready. How can we do a better job of
ensuring they are college ready. It's statistically sad and
disheartening as an instructor to see the number of GED graduates in
various reports nationwide, who never finish any post secondary training
because they still lacked skills, hit a wall, grew frustrated and quit.
How can we give them a good foundation at the starting line so that they
see the GED as a step, a beginning point in their future - see that it's
not an end or a destination (unless they are solely returning to school
for personal satisfaction.).

Regards,
Katrina

>>> <Tina_Luffman at yc.edu> 9/6/2006 1:25 pm >>>

June,

What you are saying is so true. At our college we have a COMPASS
placement test that all students must take before being placed into Math
or English classes regardless of whether they have a high school
diploma, GED, or lack of credentials. Most of our GED graduates place
into Fundamentals of Math or Beginning Algebra, which are developmental
courses, before moving on to college level work.

Our GED classes are filling the gap for many to at least get themselves
up to a level to fit into developmental college courses, but they do not
prepare students to walk into College Composition or College Algebra,
for example. Our Adult Education Director, Dr. Carolyn Beckman, has had
additional responsibilities added to her duty list to be in charge of
developmental education for the college as well. I am hearing that this
additional responsibility for our ESOL & GED directors is becoming a
trend in junior colleges in a number of states.

Thanks for your insight,

Tina

Tina Luffman
Coordinator, Developmental Education