National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 391] Re: Final questions on math

Myrna Manly mmanly at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 25 14:07:55 EDT 2006

Hi David and all.

Your statements in the message below are powerful ones. It is indeed time
for a revolution in adult numeracy assessment. And, as in any revolution, we
can use help from both the grass roots and the establishment.

Although our present-day politicians seem to believe that they need to
overstate their side of an argument in order to get what they really want
when a compromise is reached, I think we should be clear from the start as
to our position. So I will try to amend your statement a little (and welcome
suggestions from others):

"If the most widely used pre-post assessment for measuring adult math level
gains (Educational Functional Level in NRS language) is the TABE, and if the
TABE is measuring ONLY A NARROW BAND OF MATHEMATICAL SKILLS, then doesn't
that mean that teachers who are effectively teaching MATHEMATICS IN A FULLER
SENSE, and students who are learning to think mathematically to get the most
important mathematics learning, are being punished and penalized?

And, from a national perspective, doesn't that mean that the NRS math level
gain data are not valid?"

We are not saying that computation algorithms are the WRONG thing, but that
they are not the ONLY thing. In addition, we do not yet have the kind of
evidence that is required to say that our (and NCTM's) way of instruction is
THE RIGHT way. But we are saying that the most important mathematics for
today's requirements is not being assessed so the validity of the assessment
is in question (using validity to mean the degree to which an instrument is
representative of the domain it is testing.)

I have heard numerous complaints about adult numeracy assessment from all
areas of the country. In Massachusetts they funded the development of a new
test. What do you know about its composition?

Myrna