National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 329] Re: Formative Assessment

Aaron Kohring akohring at utk.edu
Thu May 11 09:58:07 EDT 2006

Marie,

I hope any teachers or programs using EFF might share what they are
doing. The EFF teaching/learning cycle embeds assessment (both formative
and summative) within the teaching process.
Aaron

At 08:38 AM 5/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi everyone,

>Thanks for your post David subscribers: I m surprised that no one has

>responded to David s post! Isn t one of our biggest conundrums/topics of

>discussion the formative assessment versus summative assessment situation

>(although we may not call it this)? In the on-line assessment course that

>I facilitate, participants talked about this fairly in-depth, and pointed

>out that formative assessment is what happens all the time in teachers

>classrooms where the real substance of teaching and learning are

>gauged. This has been touched on here before as well if you go to the

>Assessment Archives at:

><http://www.nifl.gov/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/search_discussions?cq=2>http://www.nifl.gov/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/search_discussions?cq=2

>and type formative assessment in the search box you get 21 entries.

>But David is looking for studies and further info there are nearly 500

>subscribers here so I m pretty sure someone has some resources to

>share. And if not, you have your experiences to share. David said:

>I am interested in the details of how this is done, in examples of where

>it is done especially well, and where it is systematically used.

>Perhaps this is a good place to start. Please let s hear from you,

>Thanks!

>marie cora

>Assessment Discussion List Moderator

Aaron Kohring
Coordinator, LINCS Literacy & Learning Disabilities Special Collection
(http://ldlink.coe.utk.edu/)
Moderator, National Institute for Literacy's Content Standards Discussion
List (http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/Contentstandards)
Coordinator, Equipped for the Future Websites (http://eff.cls.utk.edu/)

Center for Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee
EFF Center for Training and Technical Assistance
Phone:(865) 974-4109 main
(865) 974-4258 direct
Fax: (865) 974-3857
e-mail: akohring at utk.edu