National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 284] Re: ETS Tutorial

Eastland, Julie jeastland at ETS.ORG
Fri Mar 31 11:30:31 EST 2006

Hi Everyone,
In answer to your questions about the sample items - these items are not
specific to the EFF frameworks. The items that we plan to develop for
the new assessments will be more closely tied to the EFF standards. The
items you saw are examples of the kinds of items items that are tied to
the IALS and ALL Prose, Document, and Quantitative scales. We worked
very hard to develop items using real-life content that adults are
likely to encounter in their daily lives. I am glad that the connection
to authentic texts was apparent!

The sample question you refer to about the tuna sandwich does not have
an error - the chart contains information about how many calories there
are in a tuna sandwich and the various minutes per activity it would
take to burn off those calories. Please feel free to take a second look.
Regards,

Julie Eastland

________________________________

From: assessment-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:assessment-bounces at nifl.gov]
On Behalf Of Marie Cora
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 11:23 AM
To: assessment at nifl.gov
Subject: [Assessment 283] Re: ETS Tutorial

Dear everyone,

I have received the following email to post.

Thanks,
marie cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

I went online to try the tutorial as you suggested and I wasn't clear if
those were sample questions in general or if they are specific to the
new EFF assessments. If they are, I saw a great connection to authentic
texts, but not a clear tie to the components of the standards.
Basically, they looked a lot like GED (or TABE) questions, but in a
computerized format. Also, I'm pretty sure there's an error on one of
the sample questions in the health section. The question asks how many
minutes you'd have to run to burn off calories from eating a tuna
sandwich, but then you're supposed to highlight the answer in the chart,
but all the chart says is how many calories you burn per minute running.
I would think there'd need to be a box to fill in the response. I was
hoping that you might be able to clarify for me. Thank you.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information.
It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly.
If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute,
or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from
your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.

Thank you for your compliance.