National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] TABE question

Bruce Carmel bcarmel at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 31 11:28:23 EST 2006

Hi Dianna and Fellow List Servers,
My two cents, somewhat related to your question....
We are required to use the TABE here in New York State. So it's "appropriate" that we adminster it. In my opinion, the TABE does not test reading ability, it tests the ability to take a standardized test. And it's not even a very good standardized test: tricky, culturally biased, etc. There is some connection between taking a standarized- multiple-choice reading test and being able to read--I will admit it--but not enough for me.
Maybe you've heard this sort of thing before, but just checking. I would not use the TABE test if I were not required to do so.

From Bruce Carmel
Turning Point

Pat Campbell <pcampbell at interbaun.com> wrote:
HI Dianna,

There are many versions of the TABE. I would suggest you contact the publisher and find out the norming population for the version you want to use.

Sincerely, Pat