Research

RE: Logo Artwork for SELinux?

From: Dan Thomsen <dthomsen_at_tresys.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:45:54 -0500

> IMO the graphic selected should emphasize a *defensive* posture. For
> example, Tux with an armored helmet, shield and lance. Or Tux with a
big
> Doberman on a leash. Or possibly Tux in camouflage with a helmet.
>
> Or maybe Tux with a fire-breathing dragon on a leash... :)

If you want a defensive look, how about considering a steel hexagon field (like a beehive) with Tux looking out through one of the holes. One of the main strengths of type enforcement is to keep things separate.

I thought of using steel bars, but it would look like Tux was in jail. The message "Security Enhanced Linux - the choice of convicted penguins" is probably the wrong message.

I suggest if you don't want to tip your hand with a logo indicating your security mechanisms use a windows logo.

I know it was my suggestion, but I like Joshua's penguin-in-black icon, its subtle and it fun.

---
Dan Thomsen
Tresys Technology    www.tresys.com
dthomsen@tresys.com  d.j.thomsen@ieee.org