National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] Legitimacy of alternative tools

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Thu Feb 2 11:51:38 EST 2006

Hi Bruce and everyone,

Bruce, you said:

"I think putting forth the strengths and legitimacy of tools such as
portfolios, outcome checklists, holistically scored writing samples, etc
is a good way to go."

This sounds like a very good path to go down to me. I think people
would have a lot to say and share about alternative tools, their uses,
and their strengths. It would be a great exercise to list them all out
and discuss the strengths, uses, and limitations of each one.

What questions do folks have about alternative assessments?: using
them, seeking them out, developing them, whatever area most intrigues
you.

What can folks share with the rest of us in terms of "the strengths and
legitimacy" of alternative tools such as portfolios, checklists,
analytic/holistic scoring, rubric use, writing samples,
in-take/placement processes?

Are any of the tools you use standardized? Not standardized? Do you
think that this is important? Why or why not?

Are any of the tools used for both classroom and program purposes?

I have other questions for you, but let's leave it at that for right
now. Let us hear what your thoughts are. We're looking forward to it.

Thanks,

marie cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator