National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] EFF in the classroom

Lisa Mullins lmullins89 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 21:11:45 EST 2006

Hello everyone,
I have been using EFF for a few years. I am an
ABE/GED/ESOL teacher in Rogersville, Tennesee. My
favorite part of EFF is the Teaching/Learning cycle
steps. In using the T/L cycle the instructor and
learners must think about what they will produce or do
in order to meet the components of the Standard.
Everyone involved must think about what they are
trying to do and how it will look as a finished
product.

I often do several types of informal assessment with
each EFF lesson. Those informal assessments include
pre-lesson surveys, checklists, rubrics, ranking
scales, and post-lesson surveys.
In addition, I connect the task at hand to the more
formal assessment instruments such as the TABE or GED.
Sometimes this is accomplished by having the students
create their own questions in GED format. At other
times, on in addition, I connect to a goal the
students have in common or to a real-life situation.

A lesson I have tried several times is one on graphs
using the Use Math to Solve Problems and Communicate
Standard.

First, I ask the students to try to answer some
questions. What are graphs? What is data? What are
the types of graphs? Why would you use a graph? What
are the parts of graphs?
The answers provide me with information about prior
knowledge.
Next, we examine several graphs. We discuss the data
source and use of each graph. Then, we make a list of
the parts all graphs must have to be effective. This
list becomes our checklist.
Now, the students decide what they would like to graph
and why. They each decide which type of graph would
work best for their purpose. We take a look at the
components of the Use Math Standard to plan how the
learners will accomplish each one. At this point, we
make a description of a presentation the learners must
give in order to communicate about their graph. This
is our rubric.
Finally, the students create a graph of their own.

When the graphs are complete, the student must give a
brief presentation to the class explaining the graph.
Each of us uses the checklist to determine if the
graphs have the parts. Also, we use the rubric to
determine the quality of the presentation.
Then, we take a look at the plan we made for the
Standard components and determine if we accomplished
our goals and to what degree.
Now, I connect the lesson on graphs to the GED. We
discuss where graphs will be found on the test. We
talk about the types of questions that will be asked.
Then, I have the students create their own GED type
question from the information found in their graphs.

In the last steps, I give the pre-lesson survey again.
I also ask the learners to describe what they learned
and how it can be used in daily life.

I like to use the EFF Standards Use Math, Read with
Understanding, and Convey ideas in Writing since these
are things that all adults need to be able to do.

This is just one example of this lesson. I've used it
a dozen times and each time it turns out different.

Thank you, Lisa Mullins